In 1948, a group of immigrant Christians began to regularly meet together in Red Deer.
At first, they met in homes, but when too many people joined their group, they began to meet in the Orange Hall. On December 21, 1951, Red Deer Christian Reformed Church was officially born with twenty-two families.
The church continued to grow. In March 28, 1952, a proposal to build a church on three lots (for $300 each) at 41 Avenue and 50a Street was accepted, and the building was completed later that year. In April 1964, growth again dictated a move; it was decided to sell the church property on Michener Hill, and, in July 1964, two acres were purchased (for $18,000) in the new subdivision of Morrisroe.
On July 25, 1965 the sod turning ceremony took place, and the new church was dedicated on Friday, May 13, 1966. This is where our church family continues to meet every Sunday.
Our church community is part of the Christian Reformed Church in North America. The Christian Reformed Church is a Protestant Christian church with its roots in the 16th century Reformation.
Our denomination was established in North America in 1857 and now numbers over 900 congregations with active missions in over 25 countries.
To learn more about the history of our denomination, visit www.crcna.org.
We thank God for all of the men and women who have given their time and talents to our church, either as staff, volunteers, or offering support and encouragement.
Rev. G. Van Laar - 1951 - 1953
Rev. Dr. R. Kooistra - 1955 - 1960
Rev. J. Van Weelden - 1960 - 1966
Rev. P. Kranenburg - 1966 - 1970
Rev N. Knoppers - 1971 - 1983
Rev. W. Vander Beek - 1983 - 1990
Rev. S. Schalk - 1984 - 1988
Rev. D. Heinen - 1991 - 1995
Rev. W. Nieuwenhuis - 1991 - 2002
Rev. J. Pot - 1997 - 2003
Rev. G. Bomhof - 2006 - 2017
Josh Friend - 2013 - 2017